Here are my latest Tastespotting finds:
Spicy Peanut Noodles
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Monday, September 13, 2010
I've made paella several times, but this recipe is definitely the best I've made! I found this recipe here, but made a few modifications. Here are some helpful tips to making a great paella.
- 25 threads saffron, crushed (a heaping 1⁄4 tsp.)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large chicken breast and 2 chicken thighs
- 750 g extra-large head-on shrimp in the shell (I de-shelled them)
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 4 medium tomatoes, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red capsicum, cored and chopped
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups short-grain rice, preferably Valencia or bomba (I used arborio)
- 1/2 c peas
- Put saffron and 1⁄4 cup hot water in a small bowl; let sit for 15 minutes.
- Brown the chicken in a 16″–18″ paella pan with a bit of olive oil and s&p. Finish it off in the oven if it's not cooked all the way through and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 c oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, lightly salt, and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add paprika, tomatoes, garlic, capsicum, and onions to pan and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 6 minutes. Add reserved saffron mixture and broth, season with salt, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Sprinkle in rice, distribute evenly with a spoon, and cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 10–12 minutes. (If your pan is larger than the burner, rotate it every two minutes so different parts are over the heat and the rice cooks evenly). Add peas towards the end.
- Reduce heat to low, add reserved shrimp and chicken. Remove pan from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Friday, September 10, 2010
YUM! Very very creamy, but chock full of healthy veggies! A great, filling vegetarian dish!
(recipe from Sunset Magazine)
- whole-wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 170 g cream cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 cups lightly packed spinach
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add garlic and mushrooms, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for another 2 minutes. Add cream cheese and milk and heat until boiling, stirring often. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then pour over pasta. Sprinkle with chives and serve with parmesan on the side.