Friday, June 26, 2009

Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Wine Sauce

This is Mark's second favourite dinner (his favourite is salmon spaghetti, which I will make next week sometime). It is so yummy! I found a recipe similar to this on tastespotting a while ago, and I modified it to make it easier and quicker. This picture just doesn't do this dish justice! This recipe feeds about 3-4 people. (note: While I am usually a vegetarian, I have been eating organic, free-range chicken during the pregnancy for the extra protein)

Ingredients:

  • 3 organic, free-range chicken breasts
  • 2 chopped shallots
  • 1-2 cups of mushrooms
  • ~ 1 tsp parsley (fresh is probably better, but I only had dried on hand)
  • ~ 1 cup of dry white wine (I prefer to cook with Chardonnay, but Sav Blanc is fine too)
  • ~ 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
  • ~ 1 Tbsp of sage (again, fresh is probably better, but I used dried)
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
What you do:

  1. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and saute in a bit of butter and extra virgin olive oil. Put aside.
  2. In same pan, saute shallots for about a minute and add the musrooms and parsley. Saute until mushrooms are browned.
  3. Add the wine and then after a minute or so, add the heavy cream, sage, and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir.
  4. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken breasts at some point.
  5. Adjust sage, salt, and pepper seasonings to taste.
  6. Serve with freshly mashed potatoes (none of that packaged crap!) and a heaping portion of veggies (I enjoy broccoli). You could probably also use white rice or even pasta if you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment