I got this recipe from The Kitchn. It's so good! I've tried homemade mac & cheese recipes before and this one is the best.
- 1 pound (450 g) pasta, any shape
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese (I used 2 cups cheddar plus some cream cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
- Optional extras (cook before adding): Ham, bacon, onions, peas, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower
- Bring a large amount of water to a boil. Add a handful of salt and the pasta. Cook until the pasta is al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, begin heating 1 cup of milk over medium heat. Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and the flour until there are no lumps. Whisk this into the heating milk and continue whisking gently until the milk thickens to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Turn the heat to low and add the 2 cups of the cheese, salt, and mustard. Using a wooden spoon, stir until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and add more cheese or adjust the seasonings as desired.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, any extras, and half of the cheese sauce. Continue adding cheese sauce until the pasta is as coated as you like it. Serve immediately while still warm.