Yum! This one is a winner! It is very similar in taste to my chicken with creamy mushroom wine sauce, which can be found here.
- 1lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into bite-size wedges (about 2 large ones)
- 2 tbsp butter, plus more for toast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, cut into bite-size slices
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 oz. cooked whole chicken, shredded (about 2 cups) **see below
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp sage
- salt and pepper
- 4 to 6 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted (or your choice of bread)-optional
- cranberry sauce-optional
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; simmer until just tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add the butter, onion and celery to skillet; cook until slightly softened, 9 to 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Add the chicken, potatoes, cream and stock, simmer until the sauce is creamy and the vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Season with sage, salt, and pepper. Spoon mix onto buttered toast and drizzle with sauce. (I added cranberry sauce to the toast and skipped placing the hash on the toast.)
** How to cook a whole chicken to perfection: (this is for shredded chicken)Cook the whole chicken in a big pot of water with celery, carrot, onion, peppercorn, sea salt, parsley, tarragon, and bay leaf. Cook until the meat starts falling off the bone. Strain the chicken and the broth. You can save the broth, and chop up the veggies for soup or as stock for later. Shred chicken with a fork.